If you want to minimize water damage from a natural disaster, broken home appliance, or a ruptured pipe in your home in the Kissimmee, FL area, then you want to prepare a flood clean-up kit. Having a kit ready can help dry out your home faster and prevent mold, mildew, and other water damage from taking hold. Here’s what you need to put together a quick clean-up flood kit. Most of the items are easily located, inexpensive, and you may have some around the house.
- Start with a stiff-bristled, 24-inch push broom, with a squeegee attached if possible, to push water out of the area quickly.
- Use a sponge mop to sop up the water, and then use a string mop to disinfect the area to keep mold or mildew from getting a foothold.
- Two 5-gallon buckets so you have one for dirty water and one for clean water. You can pick up used drywall mud buckets if you want to recycle.
- A large 5 ½ inch grouting sponge to spread disinfectant in those hard-to-reach places.
- Good old-fashion chlorine bleach is the best disinfectant for a flood cleanup. Use one cup to 5 gallons of water or 9 parts water to 1 part bleach will kill mold spores.
- Protect your hands with dishwashing gloves or thick rubber gloves.
- You can never have enough rags to help clean up and spread disinfectant in small areas.
- A box of heavy-duty 3-6 mil contractor trash bags to carry away the waste.
Familia Insurance Agency
At Familia Insurance Agency, we care about helping you protect your home investment. We provide insurance coverage for homes in the Kissimmee, FL area. Contact a Familia independent agent today to discuss your home’s flood insurance options and keep your investment protected.