The Familia Insurance Agency in Kissimmee, FL understands your home insurance needs. They are able to help you secure the right kind of coverage in case an unexpected event occurs while you are away on vacation. So, before you leave for your trip, you should do everything you can to prevent dangers that could happen inside your home.
Normalcy is the Key
Make sure that things appear as normal as possible. Thieves are less likely to try and burglarize your home if they believe people are inside.
- Set up night lighting. Get a timer for your lights. You could also have a trusted friend stay at your place for a few days to make your home look occupied.
- Stop newspaper and mail delivery. When papers pile up on the front porch, people know you are away. This is the first thing thieves look for. Have the deliveries stopped several days before you leave.
- Park the car inside. Seeing a car parked for several days without moving lets everyone know that you are not home. You could also have a neighbor pull their vehicle in your driveway each night to show your house has constant activity.
Find the Shut-off Valve
It’s unnecessary to leave your TV or toaster oven plugged in when you’re leaving for an extended period. It could be a costly mistake if your appliances breakdown and cause a fire or flood.
- Unplug your items. Unplug small appliances such as toaster ovens, coffee makers, and microwaves. Electrical items like computers, televisions, and game systems should also be unplugged.
- Shut off the water valves. The valve to the dishwasher and clothes washer should be shut off before you go on vacation. You don’t want to come back home to a minor flood because you left a water valve open and a pipe burst.
In Kissimmee, FL, the independent insurance agents at Familia Insurance Agency can help you organize a policy that will protect your home from mishaps while you’re at home or away on vacation.